Saturday, December 10, 2011

iPhone.

There's something about Apple products that just...attract us. Maybe it's the price of them (whisper it, children of the Celtic Tiger), the cool white layout of the website, the shiny apple logo found on all their products, or the shape of a curvy, slender iPhone or a smooth, well rounded Mac. Yes, yes I did just semi-sexualise Apple products. My point, however, still stands. We love them. Worldwide, people can't get enough of the shiny poshness of Apple, particularly iPhones.


What is it about them? Why are "Apple snobs" so reluctant to switch from the iPhone to the Android, good, solid Nokia, or even the wonderful 14 euro phone that Dave has? Off the top of my head, I can think of three people in my close friend group with an iPhone. Of this, I know at least two are on bill pay - the rest of us soldier on with a phone that costs about 400 euro, plus the credit spent on 3G internet, texts and phone calls. My best friend Zoe, proud owner of a shiny iPhone 4, always has her 3G on. Always. I can't help but wonder how much her phone costs her!

Why are we so obsessed with ludicrously expensive iPhones, though? Is it the feeling of them, perhaps? Is it the status? Are we all just brand addicted fools?

I myself have an iPhone - I got it as a present earlier this year. It's an iPhone 3G (that's three models ago, folks) and while it cost me nothing, it's also wrapped in Sellotape to keep it together. It takes about thirty seconds to load an App and sometimes, it just doesn't want me to listen to music, alright?
So why is that, when mum suggested I get a new phone for Christmas, I point blank refused to think about other phones? Is it the feel of my wonderful phone in my hand? 3Gs are curved around, not square and blocky like the newer ones. It sits perfectly in my hand, and it's pretty heavy, but in a comforting way. I can shove it in my pocket and I'll know it's there. While I don't really care about the aesthetics of a phone, it's nice to have a screen that bright, a message system that snazzy and a phone that just looks cool.

Maybe it's just the fact that when one's phone rings, an iPhone can be casually whipped out. It's the most careless of status symbols. I often notice that it's commented on with people I'm with for the first time "You've got an iPhone?!" iPhones are rare enough these days, I suppose, but it feels like everyone's got one, it's no longer a big deal, really. Personally, I feel the need to belittle my poor phone at this stage "Yeah, but it's held together with sellotape. And it's third hand."
The poor phone never did anything to deserve me dragging it down to my I-can't-afford-a-4S level. It tries its best for me.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's the handiness of it all. I can keep all my pictures on my phone and edit the crap out them with Instagram. I can check my e-mail and my Twitter. I can stay on Facebook chat long after my parents have taken the laptop, though I'm not always sure this is a good thing. It's...simple. What else can be plugged into my computer and download all my music like that, even if it will only play it 8/10 times?

I love my iPhone, but I'll never pay full price for one, and come Christmas you can be sure that if my shiny new phone is under the tree, it'll have a shiny eBay tag attached to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment