Friday, January 18, 2013

Cathleen

According to Daniel Corkery, the three things an Irish writer needs are an in depth knowledge of religion, nationalism and the land.

This quote comes directly from Irish writing critic and general nutcase. I suppose he may have had a point in the 1900's, when land, religion and nationalism was all we had, but it seems like such a dated idea now. It's strange that three things so important to yesterday's Ireland are more or less gone now -- except, I guess, for Irish nationalism.

What is nationalism these days? Obviously it's had a long and difficult past but today, in a post-war, financially crippled Ireland, how do we celebrate out selves apart from getting hammered? More importantly: do we really need to? I've always been somewhat mistrustful of nationalistic ideals to be honest. Maybe it's because so many of them are tied up in Michael Collins and the RA or maybe it's history, but I've never really...got it. Outside of Shipping Up to Boston by Dropkick Murphys, nothing makes me feel patriotic.

This apathy towards the four green fields made for quite a fun reading of Cathleen Ni Houlihan, a Yeats play about a man who is visited by Ireland, in, eh, human form. If you can get your head around that, well done, because the play is a cracker. However, there's an undercurrent of terrifying nationalism to it. Michael, the hero (of sorts) is almost hypnotised into going to fight and die for Ireland by Cathleen. At this point, my non-patriotism flared up: to quote the great Irishman Aengus MacGrianna: WHAT?!

This is something that I can't wrap my head around, to be honest. The whole idea of sacrifice to the cause. I suppose what I'm getting annoyed at isn't hugely relevant these days -- Irish people aren't throwing themselves into firing lines (much), thank god -- but the ideals of Cathleen Ni Houlihan seem to br still prevalent in some places, and it's weird. It might be the smallest thing -- graffiti proclaiming "up the RA" on a radiator or even the recent Belfast riots -- but it's there, this terrifying loyalty to a country for no apparent reason. I just do not get it.

This isn't a post slating those who are nationalistic, or even feel the remote stirrings of nationalism in their hearts.. God no. I envy you guys! I'd love to love something that much! Unfortunately, okay don't get it. Cathleen Ni Houlihan can't bewitch me anymore than 1916's blood sacrifice can. It's something that's always been beyond me -- is it because I'm a 21st century kid or a freak of nature? Strange one.

No comments:

Post a Comment