Saturday, June 16, 2012

I got 99 Problems, and the CAO is all of them.



Motivational LC music of the day. 
Ten down, one to go. Seven good exams and three awful ones. One particularly lovely History paper.  All that stands between me and the best of summers is Agricultural Science at 9.30am on Thursday. Then I shall be free. Free to dance, to drink, to have adventures...and to panic about colleges, courses and points. Yes, I am just that lame. I have every intention of having an amazing summer, don't get me wrong...but it's going to stay in the back of my mind, I can tell. Or maybe that's the hangover talking, but I digress. Here's why.
For a start, as my CAO stands, I have three 500+ points courses at the top. All in Trinity (it's easy to get to being my main reason to want to go. That and - come on - it's pretty.) and all involving English, History, Politics or Sociology. So far, so groovy. Yet there's a problem. I've done 10/11 exams now - and I don't think I got the points for any of these courses. History and Sociology maybe - it's 505 - but I can't be sure, particularly with the GODDAMNED MOTHERFUCKING POINTS INFLATION we have to deal with. So yeah, I'm in a little bit of a points pickle, and like all things, I find them easier to deal with when they're written in size 14 Times New Roman. Also when they are bullet pointed.

  • My fourth choice is Galway to do Human Rights and Arts - amazing, right? Probably my dream course. Human Rights, History, English and something else. Something silly, like Greek or Philosophy. Lovely stuff. The only catch is, you know...Galway. It's fierce far away. Three hours on a train and let's not get into the expense of living up there. Plus, I've got friends, family and a lovely boyfriend in the Pale. I'm not quite ready to give that up, to be honest. I'm only eighteen.
  • I'll be blunt: I am too lazy to trek to UCD, DCU or anywhere else that's not just a bus ride away. 6am starts? No thanks. I'd crack up.
  • I've wanted to go to Trinity since the age of six or so. It's so big and historic, it's always appealed to me. The points are just too damn high. Seriously. 535+  to do English and History? Not fair, Trinners. Not fair...I guess I'm just not a winner, huh?
The rest of my CAO is filled up with Arts courses and courses my parents would have a fit over - English, Media and Cultural Studies still sounds like a bant, but I don't see my parents paying two grand for that. I've never had to make such a huge decision before and it's been a source of terror since January. Terror and tears. I still have no idea what career I want - journalism, lecturing or maybe research - so I want to keep my degree as general as possible, as well as as near a city as possible. Oh well, maybe I'll shock myself and get 580 in August! Time will tell, I guess. Maybe I'll pull an A1 out of Ag. Science and all will be well. The only thing I'm certain about is how good a summer I'll have....provided it stops raining! 



2 comments:

  1. Why don't you go to Maynooth? That's far less points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, thanks for commenting - tbh I can't tell you a) that I won't and b) why exactly it doesn't appeal. I've been to Maynooth loads and though it's lovely, it doesn't appeal to me like other places do. I think I've spent too much time there (I live near it) - I wanna spread my wings :p

    ReplyDelete