Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Journo 2k12?

So I was just reading this post (which is brilliant, thought provoking and made me nearly vomit with rage. My god, do I have opinions on the same issue, but umyeahok discusses it brilliantly and, not only that, but I'm too bloody tired to coherently analyse the causes and effects of the RAMPANT SEXISM in Ireland today. Ask me in June, and until then go and read umyeahok.) and it caught my eye that the writer is a journalism student. Obviously, she's an aspiring journalist and judging by that post is going the right way about it.
And that's when it hit me. Do I want to do Journalism next year?

There's a story behind this, I promise. Back in the glory days of third year, where a livejournal was considered cutting-edge, I wanted to be journalist. I longed for scribbles on a shorthand notepad. I longed to give opinions, write news and be someone. Make a difference, even only through a column about my life. So far, so peachy. I did a three week Journalism course back in Summer '09 and I loved it. I followed this up with not one, not two, but three work experiences in the field of Journalism. Apart from the fashion world (which still fills me with horror) I adore it. This, without doubt, was my calling in life. I wanted nothing more than to follow in the footsteps of Bob Woodward or (somewhat more realistically) Ian O'Doherty.

So what happened? Why am I staring at my CAO form and wondering if I'd actually like primary school teaching?* Well, to be short, I grew up. I met people who'd interviewed the Taoiseach at sixteen, been printed at fifteen and me? Well, I was in the Leinster Leader once. Okay, I get that we can't all be printed-at-fifteen whizz kids but the fact that I had done nothing gnawed away at me. Should I be sending work into newspapers? Should I be trying for more experience? Do I, a relatively quick-witted Kildare girl, really have what it takes to brave the big bad world of media? Somewhere in fifth year, I decided I didn't. I was too soft, too breakable: big bad interviewees would crush my fragile spirit! I went back to writing solely about Adrienne Rich and Ireland in the 1950's, and prayed that I'd eventually decide what I wanted.

Which brings us up to now. Now, I'm in my penultimate term of sixth year and as I said, my CAO #1 currently reads: TSM, English and History in Trinity College Dublin. Journalism features once on the form - which will no doubt me mixed up - at number 7. Now I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time and if that DIT course should be bumped up a few notches. Why? Well, to be honest, I am beginning to think (again) that I'd be well able for it. I can write - not to sound conceited - for Ireland and I'm damn good at it. I have opinions - some a bit weird, some the usual (DYK? Hitler was bad is still an opinion!) and I'm wondering if I'll have the chance to develop these when I'm studying medieval English and suchlike. It's all a bit scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment