Monday, November 21, 2011

Tumblr and my Irish Mammy Complex.

Tumblr is brilliant. It's a really easy to use, really popular, really addictive blogging platform full of pretty pictures of things and wit. I've been using it for two years now and I'm hopelessly addicted, despite several attempts to wean myself off of it. However, some things about it I will never truly understand. Ever. One of these is topless Tuesdays, but that's a whole different blogpost, I'm telling you.

Tonight, I came across this photo:

I really and truly don't get it. Is it art? Is it cool and hip to have nosebleeds now? Are the hipsters going around punching each other like in Fight Club or some shit? I get that Tumblr is for expressing one's feelings through art and whatnot, but I really, truly do not understand why this is cool or beautiful. Maybe it's me, but all I think when I see photos like this is:
  • Who took this?! (I also think this about sex photos, seriously, what the what.)
  • He/she is going to ruin their clothes.
  • ARE THEY ALRIGHT?!
  • Someone's going to have to clean that up.
Yeah, that's right. On seeing that picture, I mentally ran through the procedure for stopping a nosebleed in my head and then my brain let me know what gets blood out of clothes. This is when I realized that five years of Home Economics has caused me to develop Premature Mammy Syndrome, when I have the thoughts and phrases of an Irish Mammy, 25 odd years too early. I love Irish mammies - my friend Danielle does a magnificent impression of one - but hell, I'm 18, I'm not even close to being a mammy! I suppose at the end of the day, I'm the one doing the washing and the drying and running yis back and forth to school like a taxi and what do I get for it?
Oh lord. Kill me now.

1 comment:

  1. Haha eww! That's a disturbing picture D:
    You know, I've never had a nosebleed in my entire life and when Maria was younger she used to get chronic nosebleeds and have to go to the hospital over it and I remember being slightly jealous at one point because I wanted to know what at least one felt like :P

    ReplyDelete